Friday 17 August 2012

Semiotics

From what I had learned in my media history and culture class, semiotics is the study of sign. A sign that signify something.
Wolverine has been one of my favourite comic superheroes, there are few examples that can relate to semiotics.


From arbitrary to iconic
Without seeing the picture or real photo, we can't tell whether 'Wolverine' stands for the animal itself or the comic book superhero.

Iconic
           
                Arbitrary                                                                                                              


Wolverine is known for his near indestructible adamatium claws from his hand



Denotation- Wolverine's claws coming out from his hand with a sound effect, 'SNIKT !'

Connotation- He is ready to fight and the fight will be very nasty and violent

Myth - His powerful adamatium claws that can cut through almost everything.



Binary Opposition
There is always will be a villain in every superhero comic in order to show the binary opposition among the characters and to make the story interesting as well. For instance, the picture below shows Wolverine(hero) fighting with Sabretooth (villain), Wolverine's long time arch enemy.





Here is an interesting poster that I found online when I was searching for some inspiration for my poster design assignment. This poster is design by Olly Moss, a graphic designer.


As you can see there are two batman face in Wolverine's face. I found this design very simple and yet creative in putting an image within an image.
Since I saw this poster I started to notice a lot of batman in wolverine comics.


source(images):

























No comments:

Post a Comment